Our UAOSU bargaining team met with the Administration team from 2:30-5:30 pm on Monday, February 24, 2020 in the LaSells Stewart Center.
UAOSU presented articles on:
- Position Description to guarantee that the allocation of FTE in position descriptions aligns with the time dedicated to each category of work described therein; and
- Faculty Governance to enshrine the important role of Faculty Senate and ensure all faculty, including remote faculty, have meaningful access to unit, college, and university-level shared governance.
The Administration presented a proposal addressing Promotion & Tenure, along with a related Letter of Agreement. Their proposal accepted many of the most important protections and enhancements we’ve been been fighting for, including:
- enforceability of promotion and tenure procedures via the grievance procedure;
- the ability of fixed-term faculty to elect to go up for promotion when eligible, placing the decision to apply for promotion fully in the hands of eligible fixed-term faculty;
- lowered FTE years in service to make part-time fixed-term faculty eligible for promotion sooner; and
- FTE in all years of employment (not just those over 0.50 FTE) counting toward FTE years in service for promotion eligibility.
Taken together, these changes will allow more faculty to go up for promotion sooner and give them access to the grievance procedure to ensure fair evaluation of their promotion case.
We still have work to do in this article, including addressing extended tenure situations in CEOAS, sorting out how to deal with a promotion system that previously existed for INTO OSU Instructors, and cementing a process for developing guidelines for groups of faculty who are newly eligible for promotion (thanks to previous bargaining progress!). However, today’s proposal represented a big step in the right direction.
The Administration plans to bring a Compensation proposal to our next session this Friday. Join us Friday, February 28 from 1-4 pm in the LaSells Stewart Center Ag Science Room to see if their Compensation proposal demonstrates a similar commitment to the welfare of OSU faculty. Help us win a strong contract by becoming a member of UAOSU today!
You can find copies of all proposals exchanged to date here: http://www.uaosu.org/bargaining/bargaining-proposals/